"I love the man that can smile in trouble, that can gather strength from distress, and grow brave by reflection. 'Tis the business of little minds to shrink, but he whose heart is firm, and whose conscience approves his conduct, will pursue his principles unto death. "
Thomas Paine

Sunday, April 14, 2013

Is Our food Supply Safe

      I've been in the food industry for more then 20 years. The kitchens I work in are regularly inspected by health officials and there has never been a problem. Ever since my grandfathers small diner I've seen health regulations get tighter and tighter. Now it is to a point where it almost seems like they are trying to make kitchens sterile and more regulations then a small business can keep up with. Some of the regulations are beyond common sense. However, on the other hand it seems more and more there are problems with disease and things like salmonella and listeria virus before the food ever gets to my back door. I think the food recalls and the virus outbreaks are becoming epidemic. I can only point my finger at how different our food is produced from when my grandfather had his diner 50 years ago. Back then most things were raised, at least regionally if not locally. I remember the old guy at our corner market, who also lived in the neighborhood, killing his own chickens behind the store. Now everything is mass produced packaged, factory, corporate food. Just like every thing in our society we are being separated from nature and it is causing health problems. The more factories, the more corporations, the more we and our food are separated from the natural process, the more illness and disease we will have.
     One foot note to this is, while trying hard to not ruffle feathers, I have asked state health officials about the food that is delivered to my back door and was blown off, with great assurance to the safety of our food supply .  

No comments:

Post a Comment

Edeye's Soap Box Headline Animator