"I love the man that can smile in trouble, that can gather strength from distress, and grow brave by reflection. 'Tis the business of little minds to shrink, but he whose heart is firm, and whose conscience approves his conduct, will pursue his principles unto death. "
Thomas Paine

Monday, March 11, 2013

The American Dream

                            Is there such a thing any more?
               I remember as a young guy, 10 or 12, I don't know where it came from really, I got a good dose of Greek pride from my Mom's side of the family and a good dose of Southern pride from my dad.  . But an American dream? It was a house, wife two kids and a white picket fence. Right? I think if you were a kid of the early 60's that was the dream. You may dream of different jobs or skills maybe even your own business but I think everybody dreamed about owning their own homes being married and having a couple of kids.
            So what happened? Is it still out there? For what ever reason it didn't happen for me. I'm not complaining, I have a great life.
               But what do kids dream of these days. This age which seems to be filled with excess of technology and entitlement. When we are owed everything but not responsible for anything. this land of a failed economy, corporate bailouts while homes are being foreclosed on. This land where everything is disposable," Rent to Own Wheels and Tire" stores and virtual video worlds.
            I don't know...... Is there an american dream these days? Does it still exist? Or is it an American struggle just to get through?

No comments:

Post a Comment

Edeye's Soap Box Headline Animator