"I love the man that can smile in trouble, that can gather strength from distress, and grow brave by reflection. 'Tis the business of little minds to shrink, but he whose heart is firm, and whose conscience approves his conduct, will pursue his principles unto death. "
Thomas Paine

Monday, January 23, 2012

"The Music Never Stopped"


          I’ve had the extremely good luck of checking out some wonderful movies from our excellent Grand County Library system. I have already written about the inspiring “Blindsight” in another blog entry. The latest movie I checked out quite by accident. I was drawn to it by the title,

“The Music Never Stopped”.  It’s a lyric from a “Grateful Dead” tune. Now, for those of you who know me, or have read any of my dribblings from my blog entries, know that I can find a place for a “Dead” lyric in almost everything. Before you roll your eyes and pass on this movie, because of my love and constant mention for everything “Grateful Dead”. Let me tell you this is a beautiful, beautiful movie.
     The film is about a boy that leaves home during the turbulent late sixties after an argument that took place in all too many homes of the time.  I know this, not because it happened to me personally but because I saw and heard about it from friends that did live this same story at the time. The grown boy is later reunited with his parents due to his developing a brain tumor that leaves the young man without any memory after the early 1970’s. The father and son are reconnected with the music of that time. It is a beautiful story of a father and son, their trials and turbulence during a trying time of all who lived during that volatile time of music and politics.  It is also a story of how music and love conquers all prejudice and is a bridge through which we all can unite. It will make you laugh; it will also make you weep. It is very touching in so many ways. I recommend it very highly. The ending is both sad and joyful in the same moment, few films could pull this off, but this one does it magnificently.

No comments:

Post a Comment

Edeye's Soap Box Headline Animator