"I love the man that can smile in trouble, that can gather strength from distress, and grow brave by reflection. 'Tis the business of little minds to shrink, but he whose heart is firm, and whose conscience approves his conduct, will pursue his principles unto death. "
Thomas Paine

Friday, January 27, 2012

The Dark Side of Facebook and Twitter

   I actually caught a bit of the local news out of Denver at lunch time yesterday. They ran a segment on a fellow who was standing on a corner handing out resumes to passing cars in the hopes of getting a job. Towards the end of the segment they noted that many employers were no longer looking at resumes and instead were looking at many prospective employees Facebook and Twitter accounts.
     This disturbs me in that these sites mainly give an insight in to someones social and sometimes political leanings and in no way show a persons work ethic or experience in the job place.
     What if I applied at a resort or corporation where the human resource manager was a born again christian or had right wing political leanings. If he looked at my Facebook or Twitter account what would he or she see?
     They would certainly see some likes of some good quality food sites, but beyond that they would see a Libertarian with Buddhist/ Taoist leanings, who likes hippie rock & roll and outlaw country music and if they looked further it would lead them to my blogs which I do discuss, in my own amateur way, political and social issues that concern me. None of this says anything about my desire to put out the best food possible, my desire to watch food cost and the way I try to treat every business as it were my own. I think it is a great injustice for someone to hire or not hire someone based on these social networks. It really makes me wonder if maybe we are putting too much of ourselves out there for anybody around the world to see. Anybody, Anywhere! 

No comments:

Post a Comment

Edeye's Soap Box Headline Animator