"I love the man that can smile in trouble, that can gather strength from distress, and grow brave by reflection. 'Tis the business of little minds to shrink, but he whose heart is firm, and whose conscience approves his conduct, will pursue his principles unto death. "
Thomas Paine

Tuesday, February 14, 2012

"The Autobiography of Alice B Toklas" by Gertruide Stein

           Of late, I've been very lucky to come across some brilliant books and movies. While I admit I've come across some because of my curious nature. Others seem just to drop in my lap. this is a book that my curiosity led me to.
            Years ago I saw a movie that starred Peter Sellers one of my  all time favorite comedians. The name of this particular movie was "I love You Alice B Toklas"! It was set in the 60's and was loosely based on an actual cookbook written by Alice that used a certain herbal ingredient. ; )  Later as the years passed I learned that Alice B Toklas did in fact write such a cook book, although to this date have never seen it. She was also a life long "companion" to Gertrude Stein.
          This is a fascinating account of their time together. Its amazing because Alice B Toklas didn't write the book. It is written by Gertrude Stein through the eyes of Alice B Toklas. It includes a brief introduction to each of their early years, but is based mostly on their time together in France and their travels together before, during and after world war one. The fascinating thing to me was that Gertrude Stein, while indeed a great author, she is the one that is quoted as saying "A rose is a rose is a rose", was surrounded by and had constant parties that included great artist like Matisse and Picasso before they were considered masters  and in later years authors like Hemingway. Its almost like Gertrude Stein was a magnet for these people. Its a fascinating look into the art world of the early 20th century. With so much of todays academia focused on technology and science, I think this should be required reading in any high school English class. It would actually open up a world of art and maybe even increase a students interest in art.

No comments:

Post a Comment

Edeye's Soap Box Headline Animator