"I love the man that can smile in trouble, that can gather strength from distress, and grow brave by reflection. 'Tis the business of little minds to shrink, but he whose heart is firm, and whose conscience approves his conduct, will pursue his principles unto death. "
Thomas Paine

Friday, April 8, 2011

Crop report

  If you read my blog on "Monsanto" being the devil, you may recall I mentioned the danger of our present system of big farms and monoculture. I get a produce report emailed to me by one of my food suppliers. the most recent tells me that there will be a shortage of potatoes. It seems the farmers in Idaho didn't plant as many potatoes as the had in the past, then they had a bad year for their crop resulting in less yields of potatoes. The shortage actually started with the larger baking potatoes but now everyone is trying to compensate by buying the smaller potatoes which has created a shortage in them. It will only affect the consumer in the pocketbook but I suspect some of the smaller growers, even with crop insurance and government subsides, will be driven out of business. this would be less likely to happen with a diversified farm.

No comments:

Post a Comment

Edeye's Soap Box Headline Animator